6 Reasons and Solutions of Head Banging in Autism
Head banging in autism needs to be considered seriously. Repeated self-harm may lead to severe damages, intimidation, and death. This is why parents who are raising a child with a disorder need to be careful with every single object inside the house, because, autistic children are generally expressing their feelings differently.
FOLLOWING ARE THE 6 REASONS FOR HEAD BANGING IN AUTISM:
- Having a disorder in sleeping
- Suffering from real physical pain
- Attempting to convince parents
- Seeking attention to communicate
- Suffering from sensory hyperactivity
- Experiencing the feeling of euphoria
Without a doubt, early intervention by a specialist is necessary to protect the child from self-harm. Firstly, you need to wake up from the shock as quickly as possible. secondly, gain the knowledge to support your son.
Amazon Suggestion: A game composed of 28 Pack for Autism Anxiety. Click on the product to see more details.
IS HEAD BANGING THE ONLY FORM OF SELF-HARM?
No, it can happen in various forms:
- Marking the body with scars
- Pulling hair
- Biting lips, nails, fingers, hands, or arms.
Recommended: 6 Benefits of Lego Therapy for Autistic Children
TRY TO USE A SELF-HARM AUTISM PAPER:
First, fill it out and give it to your child’s therapist during treatment.
7 pm 12/12/2019
Cause (explaining what happened before the incident)
Dad!! I want to use your computer NOW
Child’s Behavior (explaining what happened after the incident)
Consequence (what happened as a result of the behaviour)
No TV for 2 days as punishment
In case of serious wounds, call an ambulance or take your child as fast as possible to the nearest emergency. Also, try to buy some protections like gloves and helmet to avoid any Self-injurious behaviour in the future.
Look after your life partner and share tasks with him/her to raise your child. Without a doubt, teamwork is necessary to reduce stress. Not only this but it gives a practical demonstration to your child of how adults express feelings through communication and love.
FOLLOWING ARE THE 6 SOLUTION FOR HEAD BANGING IN AUTISM:
Obviously, a Parent can be traumatized to watch his child hurting himself in the head, or any part of the body. However, some measures can be taken to protect children with self-injurious behaviour:
- First, consult your paediatrician to diagnosis the situation (recommended step)
- Buy a safety helmet or gloves (depending on the type of self-harm behaviour or your child)
- Put a sponge-coated surface to protect your son against impacts along the wall of his room, cover the bed corners and make sure to wrap anywhere he might bang his head
- Place secret cameras in his room so you can look after him constantly
- When the atmosphere is appropriate and calm, especially at night, try to talk about the human body and how to care for it in particular (with a creative way)
- Last but not least, activate your child’s vestibular apparatus through vibration, thus safely obtaining inputs. You may find padded animals, toothbrushes, and even pillows (scientists have said this method will only reduce self-harm behaviour).
- Buy SOUNDSORY, a technology dedicated to autistic children to improve motor and cognitive abilities.
SOUNDSORY – Music and Movement Program for Brain and Body – Improves Motor and Cognitive abilities – Designed for Motor delay, Balance, Coordination, Autism Spectrum and Auditory Processing Disorder
Recommended: 10 Early Signs of Autism in Infants
This was everything about the 6 Reasons and Solutions of Head Banging in Autism. Please, share this post to spread awareness among new parents.